Home | Settings | Register | Calendar | Members | FAQ | Search | P!nksPage.com

The official P!nk forums The official P!nk forums > All things P!nk > Tell P!nk! > A stupidly long but heartfelt letter
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Danni-D123
Top 100 Charts Level

A stupidly long but heartfelt letter

After reading recent posts, I felt the urge to share this with you all. I began writing it a few months ago as a letter to P!nk. Apologies, it's pretty long and cheesy.

I've been a fan of P!nk since I was eight when my eldest sister bought 'Can't Take Me Home' which I ended up stealing (sorry sis). It was the first album I ever owned, and I still have that copy to this day. I didn't know why at the time, but from the moment I heard her voice I was hooked.

6-years-later we were lucky enough to meet P!nk, something I never thought was possible, after winning a Meet and Greet through the promo crew. I begged my sister to drive us; I think she was sceptical that it was real at the time but she could see my desperation, and after a 3-hour drive it happened. It was in 2006 on the 'I'm Not Dead' tour in Birmingham, UK. Like most of you, I obsessively promoted everything P!nk. I started to learn the basics of Photoshop and coding and put my insomnia to good use; it was the only thing I had so I put my everything into it.
It was such a shock to open the email announcing my win. I had just turned 14 and before this hadn't left my house in over a year after being kicked out of school. See, I am Autistic with ADHD and Dyspraxia. I had been bullied and abused for being different from a young age and had pretty much given up at that point.
The only thing that kept me going at that time was her music, her message and this beautiful community she has created. Meeting her had a butterfly effect on my existence. There were so many things I wanted to say to her, but I couldn't speak and started to get overwhelmed, and she could see that. I'm sure she is used to fans freaking out in various ways, so I imagine this wasn't new to her, but her kindness and understanding will stay with me forever. She didn't mind, she asked me for a hug, thanked me and told me I was awesome. She took her time with me and signed my ticket and even pointed me out and waved during the show. She gave me hope; she was as real as her lyrics and interviews had seemed, and I can't even begin to explain the importance of that. I don't get most people, it's hard for me to understand the nuances of social etiquette, but I have always felt like I get P!nk and have a similar understanding with her fans. She is honest, to the point, she says what she means. There is no facade, and all these years later she is the same. Why isn't everyone like that? It just makes sense.

She wasn't to know I was on the spectrum at the time, but the fact she treated me an equal, regardless of my age or differences genuinely changed and saved my life. If P!nk, someone I have such a deep respect and admiration for, could be that kind, then there was hope yet, and that's something I carry with me every day. It hasn't always been easy, and there will be many more ups and downs to come, but there has been a figurative net to fall back on, and these experiences have been a part of that for a long time.

Admittedly, I still have severe social anxiety that I am hoping to improve, but when I am at a gig of P!nk's, the people around me become invisible. It's just her, the band and dancers in a different world, and everything is perfect. I stood at the front on my own at the V Festival Weston Park gig as my husband didn't want to wait all day, which was a big thing for me as I've never done it alone before, but it was worth it all. I don't think I could (or would) do that for anyone else.

I'm now 25 and have a nearly 3-year-old daughter named Lily. She was born with a cleft lip and is likely on the spectrum too, but nothing gets in her way. She's so strong and has a brilliant sense of humour. Lily is already a massive fan, she knows all the words and tries to recreate the videos/tour DVDs. I hope that we can instil similar values in her that P!nk has taught me and many others, we try our best, but it's always good to have back up from a much cooler person! haha.

None of this, from my career in web design to simply being alive, would have been possible without joining a forum, meeting P!nk, seeing the show and getting out of the house that day. It triggered the events that have brought me here. Happy and at peace with my truth, trying to be the best mother/wife/human I can be. Different, not less. Without it, I honestly don't believe I would have made it out of my bedroom.

It might seem like a lot to credit one person with this, but you never know what is going on in someone else's life and how important your actions can be.

It has been a privilege and a pleasure to watch her evolve over the years and see her beautiful family grow. Her ethics and continued effort to speak out for what is right and the way she prioritises her family above all is inspirational. Thank you. There aren't enough words to express my gratitude.

Here's to the next chapter. I'm prouder than ever.

Last edited by Danni-D123 on 08-29-2017 at 04:28 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-29-2017 04:13 PM
Danni-D123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Danni-D123 Click here to Send Danni-D123 a Private Message Find more posts by Danni-D123 Add Danni-D123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
p!nksson
#1 Video and Single Level

What a beautiful letter! <3
You're strong!

Old Post 09-11-2017 02:10 PM
p!nksson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for p!nksson Click here to Send p!nksson a Private Message Find more posts by p!nksson Add p!nksson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dani

Beautiful ❤️

I know what you mean Danni and I think many of us on here can relate to what you wrote about being lost and finally finding hope, through her music, her personality, this board, the amazing people/fans, traveling and just finding and building yourself, your life and your dreams. For me, together with writing on my own, her music was and still is therapy but also excitement and passion. She's a HUGE talent and inspiration and a strong strong woman I'll always look up to.

Old Post 09-12-2017 12:35 AM
 Dani is offline Click Here to See the Profile for  Dani Click here to Send  Dani a Private Message Visit  Dani's homepage! Find more posts by  Dani Add  Dani to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Danni-D123
Top 100 Charts Level

How did I not reply to you both? Sorry! Thank you for reading. ❤️ Yes, exactly that Dani. What an incredible journey we've been on!

Old Post 10-04-2017 02:26 PM
Danni-D123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Danni-D123 Click here to Send Danni-D123 a Private Message Find more posts by Danni-D123 Add Danni-D123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote